Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 6: Episode 102 Wendigo and getting the ball rolling...

Yesterday, using an iTunes version of the pilot to show clips, I went through and gave the students a vocabulary lesson on film terms (shots, lighting, focus, etc) with John Goldman's Reading in The Dark as my reference (and guide).  All the examples I used were from the pilot.  The kids came through like champs.  For some of them it was even more of a review than new material.  This is the world they live in after-all.  It also served to review the pilot so that...

Today we watched the second episode, Wendigo.  The kids were again, rapt!  I introduced and they used the EGO (episodic graphic organizer) with my huge (3 feet by 6 feet) white board example and a copy of what the pilot episode EGO would look like as their guide.  We stopped and did predictions at 24 minutes.  As I looked all the kids were writing and their papers were full.  We also covered the concepts of Active Watching and Exposition.  Pretty much every CC standard in the Reading Literature section. 

Maybe this is just initial euphoria and maybe the excitement will wear off for them (and me) but today was a triumphant day for Language Arts Educators who believe that the way we teach needs to evolve.  Today, I love my job!

No comments:

Post a Comment