Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 2

Fourth period yesterday also went really well.  This group of ninth graders are very eager and wide eyed.  More so than previous years.  Additionally both of my classes have a decent amount of Freshman football players and the leadership of the team is very positive and leadership focused, this is apparent in the student's behaviors and that positively affect the classroom environments.

Both classes were given a letter of introduction as their first assignment yesterday.  Two thirds of the students turned their work in today.  For regular ed 9th grade, much less special education students, that is huge!  These kids are excited and enthusiastic and I haven't even really gotten to the TLS stuff yet.  Terrific!

Today through Monday we are doing a lot of pre-test, base line data though we are also covering "Why we teach/learn English."

Today I played "The Scarlet Ibis" for the kids and gave them the assessment.  Tomorrow we will watch the pilot of SPN ( I can't wait to see them watch it!), do that assessment and Monday they will do an online practice EOCT.  These documents will comprise my baseline data.  Then we can really get going. 

Juggling all the activities and lessons I have in mind is still going to take some work with the truncated schedule (80 days versus regular 90, not to mention testing, altered schedule for first week, etc).  I am still trying to decided how I am going to make those adjustments, but based on the behavior and attitude of the kids so far, not to mention the interests listed in their letters of introduction I think this is going to be jut fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment