Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Crunch Time

Tomorrow my kids take the Georgia EOCT (End of Course Test) for 9th Grade Language Arts.  It is a state mandated 20% of their grade.  While standardized tests are not the best or only way to evaluate students, however, they are the most effective way to currently evaluate students on a large scale. 

I think my kids are ready and I think they will do well.  Which is a good counterpart to the nail-biting terror I have about it this time.  It's funny, this is the least about me that standardized testing has ever been in my mind.  I love these kids, they have worked hard, they put their faith in me to take them on this journey and get them to the destination I promised... 

The results are usually back in about 24 hours.

Regardless of this set of results there are already things I want to change and adjust for the next batch of kids next semester.  Next semester there will be three classes, two team taught, one standard, about 70 this time.  I wonder if that group will be as special to me as this group has been?  I think so.  I feel like I got to know my kids so much better this time.  It's amazing what you can learn when your kids are so much more alert and interactive... 

I have applied to present at the National Popular Culture Association Conference in April in Boston.  I should hear back on that soon too.  Hopefully everything will continue to come together for me to start classes this Spring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment