Thursday, October 27, 2011

Kick In The Head, Poetry, and 206 No Exit

Drama One Act Competition this week so things have been crazy!

We are doing the poetry unit transitioning into The Odyssey.  That's not to say there is no prose, but more poetic language than not.  Additionally the students are doing a poetry project I call, "Kick In The Head."  The title comes from the book it is based on.  Kick In The Head shows 29 different poem forms.  So I present them all and the kids have to write one example of 25 of the forms.  Further, 10 of them need to be about Supernatural (this helps give them theme and maybe I'll get a neat anthology out of it...)  The idea is to get them to try and play with poetic forms. 

206: No Exit is one of my favorite episodes.  I pair it with Sylvia Plath's "Daddy" and another poem about relationships we have with our parents, though from the parent's view.  No Exit is fascinating to to me because I think it is so much about the nature of the relationship between parents and children and mothers and fathers and the roles they play in our lives. 

The kids should have gotten it today, but as I was at competition and part of it was that I wasn't comfortable with a substitute teacher doing it, but, honestly, I wanted to be the one to do it with them...  The directions I left for my sub (the kids did skill drills for the day) were the most type A I have ever given.  This whole program is changing the way I look at my class, how I teach, my expectations and who I am in the classroom, even, I think.  Who knew?

Also I have been getting some amazing reports from other teachers.  I am clearing it with them first but I hope to post some of their anecdotes soon....  Amazing stuff.

Last, I will be presenting at NCTE after all on Moodles.  That just blows my mind.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment