Thursday, September 15, 2011

Marigolds and Something Wicked

Today we read the story Marigolds in preparation for watching the episode Something Wicked tomorrow.  I have a really good version of the story being read on tape and so I played it for the kids.  To see a whole class, 29 children reading, with their pen in their hand making notes on their text was a sight to overwhelm the heart of any English teacher.  Then I had my mountain top moment.  One of my kids who is served through Special Education was not only following along, avidly, but he was making notes in the margins spontaneously on his own with great insight.  This was a kid I could barely keep awake in the beginning and who I was told by others was lazy, and I shouldn't expect too much from... 

In my head, I knew this would work, I believed this was a method to reach reluctant readers, to help show students the relevance of Language Arts and teach Critical Thinking Skills and I knew the kids would love the show (Supernatural) and that would be a big point of engagement, but I admit, I was worried...  What if they only paid attention to the show, thought it was a gimmick and just ate the frosting, leaving the vitamin fortified, fiber filled cake underneath, uneaten on their plate...

So, I also admit this.  When I saw that young man's notes on his paper, I might have cried, a little.

Literature was taught Supernaturally today!

No comments:

Post a Comment